Aromatherapy play dough is a great way to encourage creativity in kids. All you need are simple pantry ingredients: flour, olive oil, cream of tartar, & drops of your favorite essential oils! This aromatherapy play dough recipe smells so good, you’ll find yourself playing with it, too. I hope you enjoy this aromatherapy play dough recipe with cream of tartar!
Aromatherapy Play Dough Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this playdough recipe best:
2 cups of flour
2 cups of water (food coloring added)
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 drops of your favorite doTERRA essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until it’s combined.
- Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir the ingredients together until it forms a ball. Note: Do not overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, add five drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
To keep your play dough fresh, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun!
More Essential Oil Ideas for Adding to Play Dough:
- Peppermint Oil for energy and playfulness
- Lavender Oil to help with relaxation, sleep issues, or stress relief
- Breathe Essential Oil to help with congestion or cold symptoms
Aromatherapy Play Dough Recipe Add-ins
If you’re looking to mix things up a bit, consider adding other small bits that change the texture of your kids’ play dough recipes. With the popularity of slime and all its added charms, you can similarly add charms and textures to your play dough recipes as well.
Toys to Use with Aromatherapy Play Dough
Traditional play dough toys work great with homemade aromatherapy dough. Your kids will enjoy rolling, patting, and squeezing their way through the dough. Many of the Play-Doh toys on the market are themed and allow children to pretend play that they’re bakers, candy makers, and more.
You can also use aromatherapy play dough to learn the alphabet or learn to spell. You can use letter stamps to spell out words or roll the dough into shapes to form letters for young children.
If you’re looking for some other ways to incorporate essential oils in the home, check out our other blog posts on how we’re using aromatherapies in our playrooms. Whether at home or in school, if you want natural products that work, this is a good one!