Using essential oils for stress relief is one of the most popular ways that families use essential oils in the home. Lots of beauty products have been marketed as being stress-reducing, but they are often brimming with toxic chemicals.
Moms have done their research and have been opting to use more natural scents by abandoning all these toxic chemicals in favor of essential oils.
These intense aromatic compounds are derived from plants and have the power to influence mood, memory, and emotion. In fact, essential oils for stress relief are a healthy growing trend.
Essential Oils for Stress Relief
Stress is one of the hazards of modern life. Unfortunately, stress has been linked to many health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes.
An easy solution for easing chronic stress is aromatherapy using essential oils.
They are effective for reducing stress and promoting sleep or relaxation because of the close connection between emotion and the sense of smell. You simply add essential oils to your diffuser and let the natural scents fill the room.
5 Essential Oils for Stress Relief
There are many ways to use essential oils. Some like to use a diffuser that disperses the scent while purifying the air. Others benefit from rubbing them into their skin, especially at acupressure points, or wearing a necklace diffuser. Practicing mindfulness and focusing on the scent and your other senses while using essential oils can help you reap the most benefits. Here are some of the best oils for stress relief.
- Lavender: This scent is the most widely researched, incredibly versatile, and commonly used for relaxation, promoting sleep, and reducing stress. It has also been used to treat the effects of depression and anxiety. In some cases, it’s had its uses by medical professionals, but it’s easy and safe to use at home. Simply add it to a carrier oil for use on the skin, add it to your diffuser or into your bath water, or make a diluted spray to spritz your pillow before bed. This will all contribute to a restful and relaxing night’s rest.
2. Rose: A sweet, floral, emotional scent, the rose has been popular throughout history. Recent studies have found that rose essential oil can serve as a relaxation and anti-anxiety aid.
3. Ylang-ylang: This unique plant has a delicate scent and is found in tropical Asia, where it is used medicinally. Ylang-ylang has been found to reduce stress, heart rate, and blood pressure and promote relaxation.
4. Bergamot: Perhaps best known for its contribution to Earl Grey tea, bergamot is a citrus fruit hybrid used in Italian folk medicine. Its unique scent has been shown to reduce anxiety, promote sleep, and relieve symptoms of chronic stress.
5. Peppermint: Stress can leave you feeling tired both mentally and physically. Peppermint oil can serve as a perfect pick-me-up and energy boost. The scent promotes alertness and improved cognitive function. Additionally, it has been found to relieve IBS symptoms and may be used in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinsonâ€™s. Feeling a tension headache coming on? A couple of drops of peppermint on your temples will alleviate the pressure associated with a headache. Take extra precautions when using peppermint to avoid your eyes.
Using a Diffuser
Using a diffuser is a fantastic way for everyone in your household to experience the benefits of essential oils. Following the directions on your machine, you simply place water in the well of your diffuser and then add a few drops of your favorite essential oils.
Whether you opt to use essential oils diffused in the air or on your skin, they can be the perfect relief after a long, stressful day. These volatile aromatic compounds have been scientifically shown to be calming plus, they’ll make your house smell great! A stress-free mom and a house that smells amazing? That’s a win in everyone’s book!